In 1875, an exceptional clay deposit was discovered in Lincoln, California. The land was purchased by Charles Gladding, Peter McBean and George Chambers who formed Gladding, McBean and Company.
In 1928, Dr Andrew Malinovsky developed a high talc, one fire body, using non-crystalline amorphous flux. This innovative ceramic material was patented as “Malinite”. By 1932, experimental work had started at the Lincoln plant aimed at producing a pottery line using the “Malinite” body. The dinnerware and art ware were to be made in solid coloured glazes and sold under the name of Franciscan Pottery. By 1939, the prolific Glendale plant had produced at least fifteen patterns of dinnerware and nine lines of art ware.
Many new patterns of Franciscan Pottery were produced between 1939 and 1983.
In 1962, Gladding, McBean and Company merged with Lock Joint Pipe Company. The name was changed to Interpace. In 1979, Interpace was purchased by the Wedgwood Group and the name changed to Franciscan Ceramics Inc. In 1984, Wedgwood moved all production to England.