Tin-glazed pottery also reached the Netherlands, probably through Italian migrants who settled in the Netherlands in 1508. Factories were set up in Antwerp, Rotterdam, Haarlem and The Hague but, by the early 17th century, Delft became the predominant centre.
At the beginning of the 17th century, two ships arrived in Delft laden with cargoes of Chinese blue-and-white porcelain. From that time on, Delft pottery emulated Chinese blue-and-white porcelain, initially using Chinese designs but gradually more Dutch elements. Delft produced large quantities of tiles for wall panels, signs and tile pictures. A important innovation in Delftware is the “trekking”, or outlining, of designs in manganese under the glaze, to heighten detail.
In the 18th century, Delft polychrome enamelled wares influenced by Japanese decoration and Meissen shapes. Output fell drastically following the introduction of English creamwares late in the 18th century.