The Maling pottery was founded by Robert Maling near Sunderland, in north-east England, in 1762 and transferred to Newcastle upon Tyne in 1817.
Robert Maling’s son, Christopher, made the business famous when he developed machinery for manufacturing jam jars. Maling became the world’s largest supplier of jam jars and built the huge Ford ‘B’ Pottery, which was the biggest pottery in the world.
In the 1880s, Maling expanded into other types of wares, including dinner, tea and toilet wares.
In 1908, the firm began producing black ground wares which are now highly collectable.
Some of the most desirable pieces of Maling pottery are lustre ware designed by Lucien Boullemier in the 1920s and floral patterns with the distinctive ‘waved’ background, produced under the direction of Lucien Boullemier’s son, also called Lucien, from 1933 until the company closed in 1963.
During the Second World War, the involvement of the Maling family in the business decreased. It suffered a long decline after being was sold to the Hoult family after the War and closed in 1963.