There have been five different, but related, Haviland china companies operating in several different countries over more than 170 years.
In New York in 1838, David and Daniel Haviland started a china importing company, D G & D Haviland
David recognised the demand in America for white bone china in the style which had been produced in Limoges, France. In 1842, he established a factory in Limoges, reinventing the French fine china manufacturing process by manufacturing and decorating whiteware blanks at the same location. The company employed painters as renowned as Paul Gauguin and Raoul Dufy.
Another brother, Robert, joined the company in 1852 and the name was changed to Haviland & Company. In 1863, during the American Civil War, the original New York office was closed.
David’s sons, Theodore and Charles Edward, joined the business in France, enjoying great success until 1891, when differences between the brothers caused them to dissolve Haviland & Company. Charles Edward reopened Haviland & Company, but closed it again in 1931 during the Depression. Theodore, opened his own porcelain factory, Theodore Haviland & Company and, in 1936, bought the designs and trademarks & rights of Haviland & Company and restored the original name.
Haviland & Company now operates as Haviland Company and sells silverware, crystal and giftware as well as porcelain.
Through its history, Haviland China has produced between 20,000 and 30,000 different designs and has supplied several Presidents as well as innumerable households.