In 1741 King Christian VI of Norway and Denmark commanded the establishment of a glassworks at Nostetangen (in Norway) to meet the needs of his kingdom. After some years of experimental work, in 1760 the Nostetangen was granted a monopoly and the import of foreign glass was banned. From 1760 to 1770, two types of glass were made: cheap, poor quality German-style soda-lime glass and very fine quality English-style lead glass. The latter proved very popular with the rich merchants who traded with England and were familiar with English taste.
In 1777, production was transferred from Nostetangen to Hurdals Verk. The technical quality of the glass improved and wide use was made of coloured glass – particularly blue.
In 1809, production was transferred from Hurdals Verk to Gjovik Verk. The products of Gjovik Verk are almost indistinguishable from those of Kosta at the same time.
Denmark’s own production of glass began in 1810 with the establishment of the Holmegaards Glasvaerk./